Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Our Bodies

Our physical bodies are magnificent machines. You could take one organ or part and study all your life with amazement.

Ps.139:13 – 17 “ For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand. When I awake, I am still with you."

I remember a story of a girl who continually complained about the size of her thighs, driving her boyfriend very mad. She finally understood and stopped complaining when she met his mom - who wheeled out in a wheel chair - paralyzed from the waist down.
I am sure you have also heard of the man who complained because he had no shoes, until he met a man with no feet.
We take for granted all the members of our body - yet God designed it all so that we don't have to think about all the millions of functions happening, we can just get about living.

Our bodies need rest, water, nutrition (minerals, vitamins[though it seems that if we have the minerals our body will produce the vitamins - see previous blog!]proteins, fats...) and excercise. If we take care of our bodies they function extremely well, and have the ability to heal and protect.

I am thankful for my body. For my eye sight, hearing, 4 working appendages, relatively healthy (especially considering my weight), have had three kids without a stitch, was able to breast feed and enjoy doing it, am able to chop wood, cross country ski, go for walks...etc.

I started a blog - and have failed to take up the challenge. God is renewing within me a burning desire to offer my body to Him, to bring into subjection and leadership of the Holy Spirit. I have tried and fallen many time, and have felt bruised and scared to get up and try again... but by His grace and His strength I will.

Proverbs 23:1-3 "When you sit to dine with a ruler, note well what is before you, and put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony. Do not crave his delicacies,for that food is deceptive."

1Cor.6:12 "Everything is permissible for me—but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible for me—but I will not be mastered by anything."

1Cor. 9:24-27 "Do you not know that in a race all the runners compete, but [only] one receives the prize? So run [your race] that you may lay hold [of the prize] and make it yours.
Now every athlete who goes into training conducts himself temperately and restricts himself in all things.
They do it to win a wreath that will soon wither, but we [do it to receive a crown of eternal blessedness] that cannot wither.
Therefore I do not run uncertainly (without definite aim). I do not box like one beating the air and striking without an adversary.
But [like a boxer] I buffet my body [handle it roughly, discipline it by hardships] and subdue it, for fear that after proclaiming to others the Gospel and things pertaining to it, I myself should become unfit [not stand the test, be unapproved and rejected as a counterfeit]."

Hebrews 12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.

Rom:1:1 "Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God-this is your spiritual act of worship."

1Cor.6: 19-20 "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body."

No comments:

Post a Comment