Sunday, September 19, 2010

Day 26 - IN CHRIST, crucified

Day 26 - IN CHRIST, the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world

But God forbid that I should glory,
save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ,
by whom the WORLD IS CRUCIFIED UNTO ME,
AND I UNTO THE WORLD.
Gal.6:14


I'm not entirely clear on what mom means by this so I will add this...

"Galatians 6:14 (The Message)
14-16For my part, I am going to boast about nothing but the Cross of our Master, Jesus Christ. Because of that Cross, I have been crucified in relation to the world, set free from the stifling atmosphere of pleasing others and fitting into the little patterns that they dictate. Can't you see the central issue in all this? It is not what you and I do—submit to circumcision, reject circumcision. It is what God is doing, and he is creating something totally new, a free life! All who walk by this standard are the true Israel of God—his chosen people. Peace and mercy on them!"


I began to see "Christ in me" in high school and struggled (and still do) with the 'not walking in the flesh, but walking in the spirit'. Something my cousin Tim showed me, and I often quote as one of my favorite verses, is
Galatians 2:20
(uppercase 'I' representing my selfish flesh,
lowercase "i" representing my new life hid in Christ)
I am crucified with Christ,
nevertheless i live,
yet not I,
but Christ lives in me,
and the life which i now live
i live by the faith of the Son of God,
Who loved me and gave Himself for me.

When I become a Christian my old self is crucified with Christ. My pride, my selfish ambition, my possesions, everything. When conflict or strife arise, and ask God, I always see that old self trying to rise up. When I walk in Christ I have peace and joy. I no longer need to defend myself because I can trust God to be my defender.

If I find a dirty child on the street, homeless and unloved, and I take him into my home, I will not immediately put fresh clothes on him. First he must trust me, and be willing to strip his old ones off and be washed, then he will be given fresh new garments.

Gal.6:7-16 (in full context)
Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked.
A man reaps what he sows.
The one who sows to please his sinful nature,
from that nature will reap destruction;
the one who sows to please the Spirit,
from the Spirit will reap eternal life.
Let us not become weary in doing good,
for at the proper time we will reap a harvest
if we do not give up.
Therefore, as we have opportunity,
let us do good to all people,
especially to those who belong to the family of believers.

See what large letters I use as I write to you with my own hand!
Those who want to make a good impression outwardly are trying to compel you to be circumcised.
The only reason they do this is to avoid being persecuted for the cross of Christ.
Not even those who are circumcised obey the law,
yet they want you to be circumcised that they may boast about your flesh.
May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ,
through which
the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.
Neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything;
what counts is a new creation.
Peace and mercy to all who follow this rule,
even to the Israel of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment