Monday, April 4, 2011

What are you rich in?

[Meditations on a devotional book entitled "Made To Crave" by Lysa Terkeust]

In Matthew 19 a rich man comes to Jesus seeking life. Jesus recites the commandments to him and the man says he has kept them all from his youth. Then Jesus tells him to sell all he owns and come and follow Him. The rich man went away sad.
Some may use this to talk about money - but I really like how Lysa articulates it.

"The rich young man then goes away sad because he won't give up the one thing that consumes him. ... Jesus didn't mean this as a sweeping command for everyone who has a lot of money. Jesus meant this for any of us who wallow in whatever abundance we have. I imagine Jesus looked straight into this young man's soul and said, 'I want you to give up the one thing you crave more than me. Then come, follow me.' ... Following Jesus is serious business...'If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.' "

So what are you rich in,
that you crave more than God,
that causes a wedge between you and your Creator?
I can assure you (and myself!) that denying one self
- choosing not all that is permissable, but only what is beneficial
- picking up that cross and following Jesus
- THAT has rewards far greater than anything else can offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment